"Most people are about as happy as they decide to be." ~ Abraham Lincoln
Honest Abe was on to something. We often decide just how happy we will be. Have you started your work week by grumbling about it being Monday? Sounds like someone made up their mind to have a case of the Mondays long before they came to work. Have you spotted someone coming your way that always gets under your skin and immediately reacted negatively before they even said a word to you? Sounds like you decided they would get under your skin and annoy you before they even had the chance to actually do so.
Here are 5 ways that will help you decide to be a little happier than most:
- Decide to wake up a little earlier - This may sound crazy to some of you. I know it would have sounded crazy to me 2 years ago. Waking up earlier than you need to allows you to actually wake up before you head out to work or school. It gives you some time to relax and prepare your mind for the day. You will also have time to get ready without running 100 mph out the door at the last second. Grabbing breakfast as you're putting on your coat and running out the door does nothing but stress you out. Use the earlier morning to get things in order and prepare for the day.
- Decide to stop being negative - This one seems so simple, yet there are still negative people all around you. Even if you aren't the one participating in the negativity, it can rub off on you if you are not careful. You have to decide to be positive long before your day gets started. It's not always something that comes naturally. Especially in the heat of a moment when most would react negatively. Stop being negative and start positively rubbing off on others.
- Decide to clean up the clutter - You've heard it said, "Clutter leads to a cluttered mind." It's true. When you keep clutter around you it will drag you down. There is nothing wrong with less. In fact, we could probably all do with a little less. Leo has some great ideas on conquering clutter. Decide to clean it up today.
- Decide the little things won't bother you - That call that interrupted your busy day shouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The person who seems to always do the annoying things at work (popping their gum, clipping their fingernails, etc.) should not make a difference in your work habits. If you are allowing the small things to chip away at you, decide to learn how to ignore them. There is no reason little, unimportant matters should drag you down. Decide you will no longer be so easily annoyed and irritated.
- Decide to be friendly - It's amazing how much better your day will go when you are friendly to others. Be helpful. Be kind. Be aware of those around you and treat them like you would want to be treated. Smile. Observe. Strike up friendly conversations. Ask people how they are doing, wait for the answer, and actually care about the answer. Interact and become a positive portion of their day. Decide to be friendlier than you ever have before.