Tuesday, October 2, 2007

New Cubs ScapeGoat?


The Chicago Cubs are in the playoffs this year. So once again sports commentators and Cubs fans alike are all speculating if their "curse" is about to end. It stands to reason that it is likely they could actually see their "curse" end this year. On paper they are certainly one of the better teams in the NL to make it to the playoffs, and they are the favorite over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the first round. Even the Red Sox and White Sox had their curses ended in the last few years, so surely the Cubs are due.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing them fail once again. It's not just the fact that I am a St. Louis Cardinals fan, so by default I must be a life long Cubs hater. It's just that I have always been intrigued by the Cub fans superstitions. Whether its a cow, a goat, or a guy named Bartman they always seem to find someone to blame for their misery. People in Chicago have been doing this for years however. Long before there was a Cubs curse, there was the poor woman and her cow blamed for burning down the entire city. Historians and scientists alike have since said that it is highly unlikely she was to blame. But that doesn't stop the people from casting stones.

It has been 99 years since the Cubs last won a World Series title (that's 1908 for those of you horrible at math). I am of the opinion that they shouldn't win the World Series until the 100th year. So I predict this year will be the year that they get close, but blow it by some horrible stroke of luck once again. Who will be this year's goat? What new calamity awaits these Cubs this year? That's what I want to see. I am interested in who has to endure the wrath of the Northside until the Cubs finally win in 2008. I look forward to posting his/her/its face on here soon!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

On a completely unrelated note. Yesterday I went to check out the new music releases. I hadn't really paid much attention to what was coming out this week, since the Foo Fighters released their album last week I've been pretty content with that. So I got on iTunes to see who was out there and I felt like I was flashing back to some foregone era. John Fogerty, Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Dylan? Annie Lennox, Elton John, and Mick Jagger? I feel like behaving as if I were on some VHI "I Love the... " series and doing some ridiculous commentary. I'll spare you though.

Addison Stop

No comments: