Friday, November 9, 2007

Music Wars In The Workplace

Music in the workplace can be a great way to pass the day along or a great annoyance if you work in a place that is music friendly. It really depends on how you look at it. Most people who love music see it as a way to enjoy their work, and I'm one of them. I do think it's important to be aware of your surroundings and keep the volume at somewhat of a minimum. I've sat by people who ask me to turn up certain songs and whatnot, and while that is nice I try to make sure I'm not annoying those around me. The music really does get me through the day sometimes. Especially on those days where it seems everything is falling apart and I just can't seem to get caught up.

This brings me to a recent predicament I find myself in. A music war has been escalating of late between myself and another person sitting nearby. I've tried to keep it civil, but when a country music station drowns out Rage Against the Machine something needs to be done. So the volume went up a little here, and a little there throughout the entire day. Not too much at a time, for fear of enraging other co-workers. Yet it wasn't too long before I noticed the commercials from the country radio station were drowning out my music some more! So, the volume was turned up even more. Before too long the battle was on and it was Alan Jackson versus Zach De La Rocha!

Today's battle was won, but there will undoubtedly be more to come. Stay tuned...

No comments: