Friday, February 15, 2008

101 Things To Do Before You Die

I recently stumbled upon a gem. Richard Horne's book 101 Things To Do Before You Die presents some very interesting questions, propositions, and simply things to do before your death. It's an easy read, and if you get into it very much you'll find yourself writing in it all over the place. Which is half the fun!

Before I bore you to sleep with a shabby attempt at a book review, let me move on to the whole point here. One of the questions in the book is "Have you ever milked a cow?" I read this question, had to pause for a moment, and then remembered. I had milked a cow before!

I was not very old. Probably only 10 or 11 years of age. It was at a farm of some friends from church that my parents were invited to. At some point the cows had to be milked (for dinner possibly? I cannot remember why). I remember I went out with the old farmer and he just started showing me how to milk a cow. Next thing I knew, there I was pulling and squeezing on a cow's udder.

That is so country and out of character for me. Kind of like the time I rode a horse, and promptly fell off. I am a city boy, even if I have lived a majority of my life in the country and smaller towns.

So what is something you need to do before you die? I'm thinking I could make a list much longer than 101 items. I need to go to Mexico, come to think of it...

No comments: