When you give do you...
- ... expect something in return?
- ... buy something you want, instead of something they want?
- ... feel obligated to give?
- ... hate spending the money?
- ... wish you didn't have to?
- ... keep score and make it a point to bring up your past gifts?
May I suggest trying a different approach to giving?
- Give without any expectation of ever receiving anything in return.
- Want to give.
- Give not just when you're expected to, but give when it is least expected.
- Come up with creative and unique gifts.
- When you see an opportunity to give, take it. Do not think twice or tell yourself you will do it later.
- Never give a gift and then hold it against someone later.
- Encourage them to pay it forward, rather than pay you back.