Friday, July 3, 2009

Focus Less on Risk & Fear


Frustration
Originally uploaded by Little Thoughts

No matter what you set out to do, there will always be someone who thinks it's too difficult. There will almost always be a detractor. Someone who thinks you shouldn't, who thinks you can't, or thinks you won't. Some will simply be afraid for you.

As long as I can remember I've been writing something. When I was younger I was always writing. My mom used to tell me (with the best of intentions), "You shouldn't write. If you do, people will take your words and hold them against you, no matter how you mean them." She would then tell me that her father used to tell her the same and that he rarely wrote much because of that fear. While I understand where my mother and grandfather's fears were coming from, today I am glad I chose to note them, but continue writing.

The thing is, when it comes to most things in life there is usually some risk. There is usually something that you can come up with to fear about your decision.

The first time you get in the water as a kid, it's a little scary. You could drown. You probably won't float. The first day at school is a little scary. You won't have your parents around. You may not know many people. The first time you speak publicly is nerve racking. You could say the wrong thing. You might forget what it is you have to say. The first time you drive a car is a little scary. You might not keep it between the lines. You might get in a wreck.

Everything is a little scary at first. Some will be afraid for you. Some will encourage you not to go through with it. If you focus on those things though, you will never act. You will be held hostage to the fear of risk and what might happen. While it is important to consider risk, your focus shouldn't be on the risk or fear. It should be on whether or not the endeavor, decision, or goal is worth while in the long run.

No comments: