The best leaders realize they aren't leading lemmings or like-minded robots. The best leaders understand they are leading a group of diverse and different people. It may be that they buy into the system, the goal, or the vision of the leader, but it would be foolish to believe they buy into the leader so much that most will not think on their own.
The best leaders...
- Don't care who gets credit.
- Deflect credit and point to their team.
- Engage their team in more than lip service.
- Allow for the freedom of ideas, discussion, and new ways of doing things.
- Understand the importance of trust.
- Are consistent.
- Promote excellence within the team.
- Refuse to accept mediocre performance within the team.
- Lead even when they aren't in a position of authority.
- Have a vision of what is ahead.
Thanks to Cymberly Pierce for providing the idea for this post when I asked for some tips the other day on what to post next. Yes, I take suggestions.