Thursday, January 24, 2008

Recipe For a Great Day!

Today I received a compliment that wasn't meant to be a compliment. I was told, "... that truly doesn't bother you does it? You're just Mr. Positive aren't you? You make me sick!"

What sparked that remark has escaped me now. I guess they were right. I wasn't bothered by it. I did however consider what had just been said to me. I appreciated that I was viewed as a positive force, as opposed to a negative one.

So what is it that can help you have a better day, and help you come across as a positive and pleasant person to others? There are many things we could go on about, but here's three simple acts I always make a conscious effort to focus upon.

  1. Smile.
    I realize it's simple, but truth be told we don't do enough of it do we? It might be hard initially, but after a few times of purposely smiling at someone you will feel just a little better about your day. Besides, it might make someone's day. If making someone's day isn't reason enough for you, it's actually good for your health! Here are 10 Reasons to Smile by Mark Stibich Ph.D. if you need more convincing.
  2. Stop and Think.
    No, it's not Hammertime. Stop and consider your surroundings. Are they positive? If not, are you allowing them to affect you? If so, maybe it's time to relocate. If relocating isn't an option, maybe it's time to start focusing on being more positive yourself. It really does rub off on others.
  3. Laugh.
    People have told me that I laugh quite often. Usually right after that they're telling me I have a very loud, distinct laugh. I know I do. I've heard it nearly all of my adult life. I am glad that is something people like and remember about me. You don't have to have a distinct laugh, but finding reasons to smile and even laugh should be a daily pastime. There's no reason to go through life with a poor disposition, rarely smiling.
Make an effort each day to do just these three simple things, and you'll find you won't have much of a choice but to be positive. We can't always have great days, but there's no reason to make our days more difficult by refusing to smile, think positively, and laugh.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

No comments: