Saturday, April 19, 2008

Oh Snap! An Earthquake!


Here in the Midwest we have been getting pounded with all sorts of natural disasters it seems. We've experienced two brutal winters of ice, snow, and sub-zero temperatures. In fact, it still refuses to stay above 70 degrees for longer than a day or so and it's mid-April. The last couple of weeks have been filled with some flooding as well.

What next? Yesterday morning Illinois and the surrounding states were rocked by a magnitude 5.2 earthquake. I don't think there was much to feel where I'm at. In a sick and twisted way, I'm somewhat disappointed. An earthquake is one event I've never been through before, so part of me wants to mark that one off the list. The Kansas City Star reported that residents in Kansas City did call the police reporting feeling the a small tremor when it occurred. If that's the case, then it could mean I just slept through the whole thing since it occurred at 4:37 AM. CNN reported that it was felt as far as 900 miles away (although I somewhat doubt that).

How fitting was it that the San Fransisco Giants were in St. Louis to play the Cardinals?

All of this has of course brought up renewed talk of an eventual big one that will one day strike along the New Madrid fault line. Three earthquakes in 1811 and 1812 along this fault line caused the Mississippi River to run backwards for a while, created lakes, and supposedly caused church bells to ring in Boston.

When the next big one finally does strike I only hope I don't sleep through it too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had been meaning to ask if you felt anything. I myself am a survivor of the great 2002 southern Oklahoma earthquake. It lasted all of half a second and sounded/felt like something heavy fell in the living room - one big crash that rattled the windows, and that was that.

Andrew Weaver said...

Oh wow. Cool! I don't even think I was aware of one in 2002 in Oklahoma.

Like I said, I'm disappointed that I slept through any tremors that could be felt this way. Oh well, next time...