Are you on auto pilot?
I'm as guilty as anyone of this. I'll be moving along in life and then when I stop for a moment to look around I realize I've just been coasting. Somewhere along the way I've turned on the auto pilot and I've been going through the motions. It's the comfortable thing to do after all.
There is nothing wrong with some structure, rules, or goals in life that require focus and some commitment. That said, there are times when we could stand to venture off track a little. Explore a little. Learn something new. Turn off the auto pilot.
Turning off the auto pilot isn't as difficult as it may seem. Toss out the excuses we too often use like, "I'm too busy", "I've just always done it that way", or "I'm afraid" just to name a few. Stop and take a deep breath. Look around. Take action.
- Read a book that's outside your normal genre.
- Go home a different way and take note of the scenery.
- Take a walk someplace different.
- Look at a map. What nearby towns or cities have you never visited? Go there for the day.
- Try that hole in the wall restaurant you've always wondered about.
- Make a new friend on purpose.
- Learn a new (to you) sport. I did this with golf a few years back and I found a new sport that I loved.
- Take the day off.
- Find something at work that you don't know and learn it.
- Talk to someone you always see, but never really speak to for some reason.