Are you getting to know those you are leading? Are you investing time in them? If not, why not?
Some excuses I've heard.
- I’m here to work, not make friends.
- I’m saddled with so much responsibility, I don’t have the time.
- I can see the merit in that line of thinking, but only to a point. Refusing to invest time to get to know people because you don't want friends is foolish.
- You should never be so busy that you are unable to make a moment for those you lead.
- When you don't get to know the induviduals in your team, you risk wasting good talent.
- It is difficult to lead people through the fire if they don't have any confidence in you. One way to establish confidence is by investing time in getting to know them.
- Keeping it all business all the time can create a disconnect.